Keynsham 1-3 Plymouth May 2017

Keynsham Town Ladies 1-3 Plymouth Argyle Ladies
FA PL South West Division One
AJN Stadium
May 7th 2017

In a slightly delayed kick off Keynsham came out of the traps well against a strong Plymouth team. Katie Cook forced the Plymouth keeper into a early save and it wasn’t long until Keynsham were ahead.

Good play on the right gave Lorton the space she needed to cross to the near post for a flick on past the keeper for the arriving Nascimento to fire the ball home from 6 yards on 9 minutes.

Both keepers were kept busy as the game started to pick up pace with end to end attacking moves. Plymouth had a great chance to go ahead when Becky Dandridge played through Kayleigh Brown but her shot is pulled across the keeper but glides harmlessly wide on 37 minutes.

Keynsham had some good late chances to double their advantage as the half drew to a close but Plymouth’s number 1, Katie Middleton, pulled off a good save from Lorton, 1-0 at HT.

Whatever was said at half time in the away dressing room had the desired effect as Plymouth drew level after just a few minutes of the restart. Miscommunication between two Keynsham defenders allowed Amber Pollock to go beyond them unchallenged to latch onto a bouncing through ball. She then crossed to Tori Marks in the box who stole a yard on her marker to score.

Christer pulled off a great one handed save to deny Marks again, just a minute later, as she found herself one on one with the goal scorer. However with just 52 minutes gone the striker had another one on one and didn’t give the keeper a chance to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

A great chance went begging for Keynsham on 61 minutes as Keka beat the offside but couldn’t squeeze her shot past the advancing Plymouth keeper.

It was soon 3-1 to Plymouth with Marks sealing her hattrick and the match ball. A great through ball from the right split the Keynsham defence on 68 minutes with Marks latching on to finish well across the keeper.

Ten minutes later and Marks almost had a fourth, but her cross come shot hit the woodwork with Zoe Cunningham unable to turn the ball home.

Keynsham were still a force coming forward with Lorton and it was the Keynsham number 10 who headed over from Beazer’s cross in the last ten minutes. Radburn went closer but her header from a freekick found the post rather than the back of the net.

Marks really should have had about 5 goals in this game after a very quiet first half. Right on the whistle Danielle Bowe was played through on the right and crossed for Marks unmarked at the far post. However this time her finishing let her down and Plymouth would have to settle for just the 3-1 victory.

This was my first taste of Ladies football in England and I was very impressed with the standard of play. It was fast paced and very much end to end action all of the way through. I’d recommend catching a game when you can and it was a bargain at just £3 with a programme.


You May Also Like