Keynsham Town vs Warminster

Keynsham Town 2-1 Warminster Town
Western League Division One
AJN Stadium

Keynsham go level on points with their visitors in todays game which neither side could afford to lose.

Keynsham: Matthew Dunk, Elliot Coles, Sam Roberts, Aaron Marshall, Ben Stiff, Thomas Bannerman-Williams, Richard Healey, Luke Lipinski, Pat Davison, Chris Lewis, Josh Rice

Subs used: Szymon Gromek (68mins for Bannerman-Williams), Liam Robson (78mins for Davison) and Ryan Beak (78mins for Coles).

It was a nervy start for both teams but it was Warminster who had the ball in the back of the net on 11 minutes. However a yellow card, and free-kick, was given to their number 8 for handballing it into the net after a cross was floated in from the right. It was Keynsham who took the lead on 20 minutes when Richard Healey rose well at the near post to head in a Chris Lewis corner via the woodwork. The K’s then tried to push home their advantage straight away with Lewis firing a shot over under pressure just two minutes later.

Josh Rice almost forced the ball in after the keeper spilled a dangerous cross on 29 minutes. Rice then had a golden chance to score his first senior goal with 37 minutes played; he got on the end of a Pat Davison long ball but the goal keeper made two smart saves one on one to deny the teenager. Fortune almost gave full back Elliot Coles his first goal for the K’s when his cross was taken by the wind but the stretching keeper just got hands to it. So it remained 1-0 to the hosts at half time with Keynsham on the front foot.

In the second half though Warminster came into their own and dominated most of the game. Their set piece taker number 6 caused the most problems, with just 4 minutes played a long free-kick wasn’t claimed by Matthew Dunk but it went just wide. It was the visiting goal keeper who had save of the game with a great reaction save tipping a fiercely struck Davison volley over the bar (but a goal kick was given!) on 51 minutes. Number 10 then had miss of the game on 58 minutes after the ball fell to him after confusion in the K’s backline. This left the goal gaping as Dunk had to head the ball outside his area, with number 8 putting pressure on Ben Stiff, as a long ball was played up field; his first time shot was well wide of the goal though.

Then on 60 minutes they equalised from the spot. A scramble in the box from a left hand cross saw players from both teams hit the deck and the referee awarded a penalty. Number 6 dusted himself down and took the kick to make it 1-1. This goal seemed to wake up Keynsham and Luke Lipinski set up Healey and Davison on 67 minutes and 69 minutes respectively.

Steve Cains saw this as a good time to freshened up the team with Szymon Gromek, Liam Robson and Ryan Beak. The K’s had to go for the win to try and climb the table again and it was two of the substitutes who sealed all 3 points for the home side. Gromek’s through ball played in Robson on the right with the teenager showing a cool head to confidently slot home his only chance of the game on 86 minutes.

That’s two wins on the bounce now and the K’s move level on points with Warminster. The target for the rest of the season is to finish as high as they can to ensure their Western League status so make sure you support them when you can!

You May Also Like