Wincanton Home Feb ’15

Keynsham Town 3-3 Wincanton Town
Western League Div One
AJN Stadium

Not exactly what valentine dreams are made of for Chris King as he sees his team lose a 3 goal lead against one of the shortest teams to play at the AJN Stadium this season! Wincanton made up for their lack of aerial dominance with a spirited performance to leave the crowd wondering what more Keynsham need to do to win a game.

Keynsham made a great start to the game and were 1-0 up after just two minutes. Full back Ryan Beak takes on his opposite number and beats him for pace to get to the byline. His low drilled cross finds the on rushing Ben Stiff, still up from a set piece, to make it 1-0 to the K’s.

After a few tame efforts Wincanton had a real chance on the half an hour mark. Dan Golden went agonisingly close from a free kick on the edge of the area. Keynsham then went on to create two more chances to increase their lead before half time. Liam Robson headed the ball on for his strike partner Pat Davison to run on to, but his first time shot forced John Hill into a smart stop to deny the K’s striker.

Jason Adams then weighted a through ball for Matt Curnock to latch on to from midfield which tested Hill again but he saves well at his near post. Wincanton had a long throw specialist in Andy Holmes, with Matt White heading over just before half time.

Chris King then rallied his troops but it was Wincanton who started well. Despite the better of the possession for the first fifteen of the restart the chances were still even. The youthful energy of the young Keynsham line up allowed them to press high up the pitch and on the hour mark they made it 2-0.

Ben Harris showed some quick feet to release Davison, who bent his run inside looking to commit the keeper. He has the sense to look up and spot Jordan Hawkins arriving at the far post, leaving the winger with a tap in for his 4th goal of the season.

Jamie Jordan then produced the save of the game from K’s keeper Ashley Wintle as he was released from a well worked quick freekick. However his fierce drive was just tip wide for a corner. Wincanton were the first team to make a change with Mali Benjamin coming off for Marcus Cook to try and change the game.

On 73 minutes it was Keynsham who scored a third goal. A break away finds Hawkins on the wing who managed to get past his marker to set up Davison with a one on one. The striker takes it round Hill to roll the ball home for a commanding 3-0 lead and his 7th goal of the season.

This sparked a reaction from 5th placed Wincanton and they scored just after the kick off. A long ball forward forced Wintle to come for it but substitute Cook lobs the ball over him. Despite the efforts of Stiff getting back on the line the ball squeezes home to give the visitors hope. New signing Bertram Abang was brought on for the tiring Curnock but this seemed to disrupt Keynsham and they conceded just a minute later on the 82nd minute. An early cross allowed White to shake off his marker to nod home past Wintle with a free header to stun the Keynsham defence.

The Wincanton bench could sense they were in with a shout with five minutes left and made two substitutions to try and steal at least a draw. However the game should have been Keynsham’s on the 87th minute when they were awarded a penalty. Hawkins had already put the ball in the back of the net but the ref called the game back for a pull on the winger in the build-up. Harris steps up for the K’s and sends the keeper the wrong way but hits the bar and it cannons off and out of danger.

Matthew Martin then makes his first team debut coming on for Hawkins with a minute left to play and Keynsham try and see off the few minutes of injury time. Then deep into injury time the ref awards Wincanton a penalty after a tumble in the area. The responsibility falls on the captain, Mike Taylor, who slots home a decent penalty to steal a draw right at the death.

Keynsham restart and the ref blows straight away for full time leaving the Keynsham players and fans fuming at letting a 3 goal lead slip away; along with a vital 3 points.

My MOTM was Pat Davison but after catching up with King after the game he gives the Keynsham official MOTM to Ben Stiff. Stiff lead his team well in the absence of their more senior players and was very unlucky not to clear Wincaton’s first goal. Jack Mitchell stood out for Wincanton who never stopped chasing down in midfield and could beat two or three men on occasion.

Keynsham  – Ashley Wintle, Ryan Beak, Mark Branton, Ben Stiff ©, Lewis Sealy, Jason Adams, Liam Robson, Matt Curnock (81st min Bertram Abang), Pat Davison, Ben Harris, Jordan Hawkins (89th min Matthew Martin).

Subs not used – Chris King

Wincanton – John Hill, Pat Golden (85th min Dan Costello), Dan Golden, Andy Holmes, Mike Taylor ©, George Rogers, Jamie Jordan (85th min Mustapha Senna), Jack Mitchell, Matt White, Jason Beale, Mali Benjamin (65th min Marcus Cook)

You May Also Like