Chelmsford Away Nov 2014

Chelmsford 2-1 Bath City
Melbourne Stadium
Conference South

By Thomas Baer  – Video – Chelmsford City FC

Both teams started this game having suffered defeats in their last league games. Bath lost 3-1 against Gosport, arguably against the run and of play and, on the flipside, Chelmsford lost 2-0 in a very poor performance against relegation contenders Wealdstone. This encounter was surely not a must win for either side, however a win would certainly boost confidence.

There was one enforced change, that being Nick McCootie coming in for the suspended Dave Pratt. The game started off at a reasonably quick pace, with Frankie Artus looking promising going forward. There weren’t many major chances for either side until the 17th minute. Chelmsford’s new signing, John Sands, was set through and all he had to do was dink it over Jason Mellor, but this proved too much for him and turned out to be a very weak attempt from the Clarets front man.

This was the only major chance of the first quarter, but the Romans were definitely dominating. This all changed moments later when Chelmsford won a corner. The ball was swiftly sent in and in amongst a scramble the Chelmsford skipper managed to get a toe on it. Highly controversial whether it crossed the line or not, but Mark Hughes didn’t seem too fussed as he managed to get his first goal of the season. The Bath City players were very quick to surround the referee and his officials to outline their anger.

Nonetheless, City continued pressing and looked to get an equaliser. Up step none other than City goal keeper Jason Mellor! Helped by the slippery conditions, Jason punted the ball up-field, only to see it bounce straight into Bradley Watkins goal. Watkins came out to claim it but could only try to push it out as it had already dropped over him and into the goal.

The second half unfortunately couldn’t replicate the excitement the first half had brought; both teams looking reasonably happy to push for a draw. Unfortunately for the team from Somerset, Chelmsford managed to squeeze in a goal with only 15 minutes remaining. In fact it was Michael Cheek, the substitute, who got the final touch to knock it past Mellor, rising high at the back post to head it in.

This proved to be the final goal of the game and was a disappointing game for City. To rub salt in the wounds, Chas Hemmings and Dan Bowman will both be suspended as a result of accumulating 5 yellow cards over the course of the season.

A long drive home for supporters and players alike and they’ll surely be looking to get straight back to winning ways against Hemel Hempstead on Tuesday night.

Many thanks for the report Thomas, it’s a great effort from a young City support and we look forward to reading more reports from you this season!


You May Also Like