Vanarama National League South Roundup 15/08/15

Matt Lee Football Article
Saturday 15th August

By Matthew Lee

Another exciting weekend of Vanarama National League South football saw a total of 26 goals being scored and over 6000 people attending matches throughout the league.

Ebbsfleet United, Hemel Hempstead and Bath City are the only teams remaining with a 100% record after the opening three matches of the National League South.

Ebbsfleet earned a 2-0 victory over St Albans City at Clarence Park. Danny Kedwell opened the scoring from the penalty spot in the 50th minute and Kenny Clark scrambled the ball over the line on 76 minutes to keep the Saints winless in their first three games.

Hemel Hempstead returned home with a 4-2 win away at Weston-Super-Mare. The Tudors had a great start when they found themselves 2-0 up after just 5 minutes courtesy of James Potton and Oliver Hawkins. Matthew Spring added the third after 62 minutes, only for the hosts to add a consolation 2 minutes later through Clayton Fortune. Spring got his second goal in the 71st minute, although Weston did manage another consolation from Ben Withey 7 minutes later.

Bath City claimed a third successive victory at the start of a season for the first time in ten years as they beat Whitehawk 1-0. Nick McCootie’s 56th minute goal proved the difference between the two sides as City won by a single goal for the third time.

Oxford City, Maidenhead United and Gosport Borough remain unbeaten after three matches.

Oxford earned a fine win in front of 2,037 at Maidstone thanks to a 55th minute goal from Jose Lapoujade. Lapoujade’s low strike beat Lee Worgan for the only goal of the game and the Stones’ second successive home defeat.

Maidenhead United and Gosport could not be separated with a 0-0 draw which means both sides remain unbeaten.

Havant & Waterlooville picked up their first point of the season with a 2-0 win over Margate. Matt Paterson gave Lee Bradbury’s side a 33rd minute lead with his first goal for the club. Dan Strugnell then sealed the points with a superb strike after 65 minutes.

Tom Bradbrook scored twice as Dartford drew 2-2 with Sutton United. Bradbrook’s 14th minute header was cancelled out by Micky Spillane after 36 minutes. Bradbrook restored Dartford’s lead in the most bizarre fashion on 69 minutes. Sutton ‘keeper Ross Worner’s clearance hit the striker in the face and bounced back into the empty net – but the impact forced Bradbrook to stagger off with blood dripping from his face. It looked as though that goal would be the winner until Jamie Collins nodded Sutton level 5 minutes from time.

An added time winner from Nathaniel Pinney gave Eastbourne Borough a 1-0 win at ten-man Wealdstone. Jonathon North was dismissed for handling the ball outside the box meaning the Stones were forced to play with ten-men for almost three quarters of the match. With no substitute keeper on the bench, midfielder Matt Ball was forced to take the gloves and almost held on for a point until Pinney broke their hearts.

Truro City got their first win of the season by beating Concord Rangers at Treyew Road. However, the Beachboys had the better start, Tony Stokes put them ahead after less than three minutes. The visitors held their lead until three minutes into the second half when Shane White equalised. Matt Wright scored the Tigers’ winner just three minutes later.

There was a goal frenzy at Melbourne Park as Chelmsford ran away deserved 4-0 victors against Hayes & Yeading; recording their first three-points of the season. Chelmsford started the match quickly by grabbing their first goal after just 8 minutes. Loanee Aiden Palmer sent in a free-kick which was headed past his own keeper by Jake Nicholson. Luke Daley doubled the Clarets’ lead after half-an-hour with his thundering shot from over 30 yards flew into the top corner. Marvel Ekpiteta solidified Chelmsford’s position with an individual effort in the 73rd minute. Billy Bricknell completed the rout after scoring from the edge of the box nine minutes from time giving the Clarets their first win and clean sheet of the season.

Promotion favourites Basingstoke Town earned their first point of the new campaign after a 1-1 draw with Bishop’s Stortford. Michael Thalassitis opened the scoring after 23 minutes to give the visitors the lead. But Chris Flood rescues ‘Stoke with an equaliser ten minutes from time.

Basingstoke Town 1-1 Bishop’s Stortford – 462

Chelmsford City 4-0 Hayes & Yeading Utd – 559

Dartford 2-2 Sutton United – 910

Havant & Waterlooville 2-0 Margate

Maidenhead United 0-0 Gosport Borough – 458

Maidstone United 0-1 Oxford City – 2037

St Albans City 0-2 Ebbsfleet United – 602

Truro City 2-1 Concord Rangers

Wealdstone 0-1 Eastbourne Borough – 581

Weston-Super-Mare 2-4 Hemel Hempstead Town

Whitehawk 0-1 Bath City – 219

Hope you enjoy the videos, it’s great to see some much coverage of the non league game. All videos can be found on Youtube; M Tanner Sports does not take any responsibility for any foul or abusive language.

You May Also Like