Vanarama National League South Roundup 29/08/15

Matt Lee Football Article
Saturday 29th August 2015

Bath City retained their 100% record in the Vanarama National League South by beating Havant & Waterlooville and consequently, already lead the table by five points. Dave Pratt got the scoring underway after 12 minutes and Andy Watkins doubled the lead on 29 minutes. The same pair added two more goals in the 65th and 73rd minutes, with Frankie Artus adding the fifth ten minutes from time to make it make it Bath’s best-ever start to the league campaign.

Ebbsfleet United remain second but had to come from two-down to earn a point at Stonebridge Road against Whitehawk. David ljaha and Sam Deering put the Hawks two-up at half-time, but two substitutions changed the game as the players sent on – Matt Godden and Danny Haynes – scored the goals on 54 and 79 minutes to earn the Fleet a share of the points.

Gosport Borough also remain unbeaten after beating promoted Truro City 3-1 at Privett Park. They started badly, needing to come back from a 27th minute Matt Wright goal but Brett Poate levelled in the 35th minute and took the sides into the break all-square. Ben Harding put Boro in front on 64 minutes and Dan Wooden made sure with a third 2 minutes later.

Five teams remain winless in 2015/16.

Oxford City ended their winless home record with a comfortable victory against Weston-Super-Mare at Marsh Lane. Bradley Bubb put the home side ahead just before the half-hour mark with his fourth goal of the season, but they had to hold on with the slim lead until goals from Alejandro Santiago (87 minutes) and Luke Coulson (88 minutes) put the three points beyond doubt and leave the Seagulls having lost all of their five matches.

Margate made it four games with a goal and six without a win as they slumped to a 2-0 defeat at home to ten-man Dartford. The Darts took the lead before the half-hour mark when Lee Noble headed in a cross from Barry Cogan. Lee Burns was sent-off following a reckless tackle on David Hunt, but the visitors never looked like losing their lead, and doubled it with 20 minutes remaining when Elliott Bradbrook tapped in from a corner.

Chelmsford City won 2-1 over St Albans City at Melbourne Stadium, leaving the visitors still winless. Billy Bricknell scored 2 minutes before the break just as the Saints began to test the home side. Luke Allen, James Comley and Billy Medlock all went close with testing efforts from range but Bricknell broke the deadlock following Christian Dibble’s punt up-field. Louis Theophanous brought the two sides level eleven minutes after the re-start with a well worked goal before Bricknell tapped in from Hugo Skepelhorn’s cross to score the Clarets’ second on the hour-mark.

Wealdstone are another side looking for a first win of the season after suffering a 5-2 thrashing at the Borough Sports Ground. Jamie Collings scored in the 3rd minute to give the U’s a lead before Dan Fitchett doubled it in the 22nd minute. Michael Spillane added a third 4 minutes later with a Dan Spence own goal reducing the deficit on 33 minutes. But Craig Dundas restored Sutton’s three goal lead 6 minutes from half-time. Odoi Hudson pulled a second back for the Stones 4 minutes after the restart, but a second for Dundas in the final minute made sure the U’s would get all the points.

Basingstoke Town made it six games with a win in the new season after losing 3-0 away to Hayes & Yeading. Elliot Benyon gave Tristan Lewis’ side a 7th minute lead that Jake Nicholson doubled after 25 minutes. Alex Osborn secured the points were Hayes & Yeading’s with a third goal 15 minutes from time.

Maidenhead United consigned Hemel Hempstead Town to a second defeat of the season on their own Vauxhall Road ground. Dave Tapey’s goal a minute before half-time eventually proved enough to earn Alan Devonshire’s side the points.

A goal from Nathan Collier on the half-hour mark made it four successive wins for Eastbourne United against Maidstone United at Priory Lane.

Bishop’s Stortford came from behind to beat Concord Rangers 3-2 at the ProKit UK Stadium. Joe Gardner gave the Beachboys a 6th minute lead that Elliott Buchanan cancelled out after 35 minutes. Buchanan scored his second three minutes after the break to give the Blues the lead, only for Steve King to level matters 12 minutes from time. But, Buchanan completed his hat-trick to win it for Rod Stringer’s side in stoppage time.

Full Scores and Attendances:

Eastbourne Borough 1-0 Maidstone United – 1011

Margate 0-2 Dartford – 996

Ebbsfleet United 2-2 Whitehawk – 972

Sutton United 5-2 Wealdstone – 803

Bath City 5-0 Havant & Waterlooville – 769

Chelmsford City 2-1 St Albans – 595

Gosport Borough 3-1 Truro City – 530

Hemel Hempstead Town 0-1 Maidenhead United – 416

Bishop’s Stortford 3-2 Concord Rangers – 314

Oxford City 3-0 Weston-Suer-Mare – 202

Hayes & Yeading Utd 3-0 Basingstoke Town – 182

You May Also Like