Keynsham 3-0 Bishop Sutton Feb 2017

Keynsham Town 3-0 Bishop Sutton
Western League Div One
AJN Stadium

Keynsham stay third after the weekend results with an eye firmly on their game against Wellington coming up. The Ks will have to win nearly all of their remaining games to clinch a top two spot, with Wellington and Cheddar above them with games in hand.

Chris King’s side came into this game on the back of three defeats, which allowed Cheddar to over take them, and three key players have moved on. Cameron Shorney has left for more playing time, despite playing 29 times, Michael Winer has work commitments and last season’s top goal scorer Pat Davidson has moved to New Zealand.

It also didn’t help that Matt Brown and Sam Duggan both couldn’t take part, who have scored 34 goals between them so far. Bishop Sutton came into the game after a 4-0 loss to Corsham at home but before that they secured an important away win against Westbury United. Consistency has been an issue this season but they would provide a stern test for Keynsham, having recently been relegated from the Western Premier.

Early on there was a chance for Ben Harris, who fired wide, after being found with a telling cross from the left. However it was Bishop Sutton who forced Ashley Wintle into a smart stop on 11 minutes. Sutton’s number 9 had rapid pace up front and burst through the middle but could only find the on rushing Wintle.

Keynsham were 1-0 up with half an hour gone via a penalty. New signing Adrian Harvey made a burst into the penalty area to try and get to a loose ball but was knocked over; with the referee having no hesitation to pointing to the spot. Ben Harris was trusted with spot kick duty and dispatched his spot kick with confidence into the bottom right hand corner.

Keynsham were breaking quickly and with pace, but Sutton’s 9 had another good chance and Wintle again saving well. So the teams went in level at half time with both managers looking to change their possession into goals in the second half.

It wasn’t long until Keynsham struck again on 51 minutes. Tom Harris harried the ball to the byline and number 12, the half time substitute for Sutton, fouls him needlessly. Ben Harris takes the freekick and it is met by the captain Jason Adams to put the Ks 2-0 up.

Tom Harris’ game seemed to be over on 59 minutes as he was cut down after firing a shot wide. However the front man was determined to stay on the pitch after being handed a rare start from Chris King and played a huge part in the second goal, which was his final action of the game before limping off.

Keynsham were awarded a corner on 74 minutes and Tom Harris took it. The ball evaded everyone but the goal keeper who opted to stretch to catch the ball but upon landing he lost control and thumbled it over the line via a defender to make it 3-0.

There was an absolutely bizarre twist to this game with about ten minutes left when the referee sent a Sutton player off. Harvey, already on a yellow, went in for a 50/50 ball along the ground with Abood Brendon (on as a sub) with both players landing in a heap. The ref was quick to blow up for the foul and Harvey threw his hands up and started walking off after seeing the red card.

Yet the twist came when the ref beckoned him back and showed a second yellow seemingly at Sutton’s number 3 after he was bouncing up and down in protest at the decision. It was then clear to the crowd that the ref had sent off Brendon with that straight red. The player made his way slowly off the pitch and asked the crowd what he was off for. We honestly couldn’t tell him why he was off, it just looked like a 50/50!

Sutton then had their best chance of the night to pull one back but 9 found Wintle in inspired form to save smartly again and maintain his clean sheet. Keynsham’s fresh substitutes had two good chances but Matt Curnock’s mazy run was put wide and Aaron Childs had his shot saved.

Right at the death Sutton could have no complaints in seeing a second red this time for their number 3. After a number of fouls all game the referee issued a yellow but for the language of the player’s reaction it could and maybe should have been a red.

However the referee had a very poor game overall with being over zealous in the first half and then losing it completely in the second half.

A very entertaining and worth while game to watch on a Friday night, it’s just a pity there aren’t more of these with over 150 coming through the gates.

Check out Adam Thurston’s video of the game:

Keynsham’s next game is on Tuesday 21st in the Somerset Premier Cup against Paulton Rovers whilst Bishop Sutton travel to Almondsbury on the same night in the league. Best of luck to both teams in these games!


You May Also Like