Keynsham 3-0 Corsham Oct 2018

Keynsham 3-0 Corsham Town
Western League Division One
AJN Stadium

Keynsham move up to third place in the league, joint second on points, after a comfortable home win over seventh placed Corsham.

On seven minutes the action started with Corsham’s keeper parrying Harley Purnell’s long shot. Matthew Brown follows up in the box, but the keeper saves. Keynsham have a good chance to make it one nil on the twentieth minute as Corsham allow them to play it around near the box.

Purnell’s deep cross finds Adrian Harvey who held the ball up well and lays it off to James Ollis. The Bath City loanee’s first time shot is low and hard forcing the keeper to spill it across the goal line for a corner. Keynsham kept up the pressure ten minutes later as Purnell’s corner was headed over by Rhymel Henderson; after good running from Ollis to win the corner.

The first decent chance for Corsham was a few minutes later after number 11 broke free of the defence to feed 10, but he blazes over. Keynsham immediately counter and Ollis’ fizzing cross hits the post after coming off a defender. The ball rolls along the goal line into the arms of the grateful keeper.

Just before half time Keynsham had another chance to take the lead. Harvey was allowed to run at the defence and rode some challenges to find Ollis in space. His first time strike was on target and the keeper pulls off a great one handed save for a corner. However this came to nothing and the teams went into the break at 0-0.

Both teams came out with renewed vigour for the second half. Once the initial five minutes settled down the home side took the lead on fifty three minutes. Nathan Curnock made a marauding run toward the Corsham box and it took two defenders to bring him down. Up steps Cameron Shorney to score a great freekick, sending the ball up and over the wall into the top corner giving the keeper no chance.

Keynsham looked the more likely team to score now with Shorney and Craig Wilson having efforts; after patient build up play. The next big chance came a mere ten minutes after the goal. Ollis breaks away on the left after Purnell battles for the ball. The ball comes across to Harvey in space, who touches the ball to Wilson, in a one two but he thunders a shot wide.

On seventy five minutes Corsham’s number 6 plays a weak back pass allowing Brown to nip in. The Keynsham striker can only poke it past the keeper but shot stopper recovered in time to gather at the second attempt.

Substitutes are made for both teams on seventy nine minutes which sparks a moment of activity a minute later. There is a flurry of chances for Keynsham with Corsham defenders throwing their bodies at shots from Harvey, Henderson and a few others before the goal came.

The ball was blocked, played out to N Curnock on the left who plays it low and hard to the back post; only for a helpless Corsham defender to deflect it into his own net. Then just two minutes later it is 3-0 to the hosts.

N Curnock is allowed to get forward again on the left and forces a corner. Purnell takes it and finds Harvey, who dispatches a powerful header to cap a fine performance.

This sparks Corsham into a rare attack as their number 9 forces Ash Clark to parry the ball. However the follow up is saved again by the tall Keynsham custodian to protect his clean sheet.

Brown and Ollis both produce chances for the home team who have asserted their pressure well over the ninety minutes. Purnell almost gets lucky in the final few moments as he sneaks on to a short back pass, whilst Ollis still has time to hit the post a minute later.

Keynsham’s performance was a joy to watch with their expansive football from the back. They never rushed their play in building up on possession based football, despite the shouts from some home fans to “get it forward”.

Unfortunately for Corsham they were never at the races that day, but Justin Flowers team will be sure to bounce back in their next game.

You May Also Like