Keynsham 3-2 Clevedon Town

Keynsham 3-2 Clevedon Town
Les Phillips Cup
AJN Stadium

Keynsham progress to the next round of the Les Phillips Cup after defeating Western Premier League opposition, in a cracker of a game under the lights.

It took the visitors just over 15 minutes to open the scoring. Archie Ferris gets ahead of this marker to head home a cross from the right from Tyler Ashmead. However just before the half an hour mark Keynsham were level through the prolific Matt Brown.

There was a long ball over the top, Brown gets between two defenders to touch it down and finish with his second touch on the half volley, lobbing the keeper.

Both teams had chances to go ahead before the break with Nathan Curnock and James Ollis going close for Keynsham. Clevedon finished the half with a high tempo and Ferris, Alex Camm and Syd Camper all getting chances.

This high tempo passage was short lived after the break as Craig Wilson puts Keynsham 2-1 within minutes of the restart. Ollis’ quick passing to N Curnock who gets to the by-line beating his man to drill across to the back post Wilson tap in.

Sam Blackiston pulled off a great save from Wilson shortly after the goal. The powerful striker makes space after receiving the ball from N Curnock on the left. He cuts inside to shoot from outside the box, but the keeper pulls off a diving save.

On the hour mark Keynsham add to the lead, 3-1, with a wonder strike. There was a throw from the left, with the ball played to Ollis. He passes it on to Harley Purnell who opts for a quick pass to Brown, but there is a touch back finding Purnell on the half volley, which rockets into the top corner.

Shortly after the goal Purnell almost has a second but his break away run only finds the post.

Clevedon, to their credit, kept pushing Keynsham despite the attacking pressure they were under. Their hard work paid off with just five minutes left of the 90. Pressure on the left wing allowed for a cross into the 6 yard box but the connecting shot was saved onto the post by Ash Clark. The ball then bounced down and across the goal line and was put away by Ashmead to give the visitors hope.

In the remaining few minutes, and an extended 5 minutes of extra time, Clevedon put everyone into each attack; with the keeper joining in the set pieces.

However John Allen’s Keynsham side hung on for the win and an away tie against Plymouth Parkway in the next round.

You May Also Like