Keynsham 3-1 Bradford Town

Keynsham 3-1 Bradford Town
Western League Premier
AJN Stadium

A bumper crowd of over 300 people witnessed a fantastic game of football at the AJN Stadium as the league leaders brought plenty of supporters.

The first real chance of the game came on seven minutes with Ash Clark saving well from former Bath City youth player Will Hailston after he latched on to a looped ball.

Most of the good attacking pressure was going through Hailston as Bradford had the better of the opening exchanges. Keynsham were pinned back in their own half for long periods and Bradford opened in the scoring on the twenty fifth minute.

A Long ball over from the right evades the defence and Lewis Powell nips in before the advancing Clark to slot home

It wasn’t long before Keynsham were level thanks to a quick counter  attack. Starting with a switch from Jamie Noble out to Cameron Shorney. He played the ball down to Craig Wilson who beats his marker for a first time cross, Matt Brown getting a touch to help the ball past the keeper; landing inside the far post.

Gary Higdon could have done better on thirty five minutes but his volley in the area was straight at Clark for an easy save.

It was a very busy forty five minutes (and the second half was just as busy) and the Keynsham number one made a big save on forty one minutes. A rebounded shot found Sean Keet in space on the edge of the box. However Clark was equal to his low drive to the near post; Keynsham were hanging on for half time.

John Allen’s men were still dangerous on the counter with Noble, Wilson and Brown. A minute after Clark’s save a mis-hit cross from Wilson cannons off the crossbar.

HT 1-1

Keynsham came out strong and the best chance fell to Adrian Harvey on fifty one minutes but his long shot was saved by Daniel Worton.

Two minutes later Keynsham’s pressure told as they took the lead.

A long freekick from a foul on Noble is lofted in to Harvey who managed to touch the ball on before the keeper clatters him. This left Wilson with work to do with defenders all around him but he half volley’s the ball into an empty net.

Bradford counter moments later should have seen a goal as Higdon gets to the byline and crosses to the on coming Tyson Pollard but he was leaning back and blazes it over.

Keynsham concede a freekick on fifty three minutes which produces a goal line scramble. Then another foul on the edge of the area sees Pollard curl a shot just wide.

On fifty eight minutes Higdon should have scored for the visitors, as he wiggles free in the area and turns but his shot is wide.

Wayne Thorne brings on the experienced Dean Griffiths to freshen up the Bradford front line and it almost immediately pays off. Keynsham’s Mike Grist chops down Griffiths for a penalty moments later. Pollard steps up to take but it’s saved and held on sixty eight minutes by the impressive Clark.

Keynsham also made a substitute after an injury to Noble but Cameron Ricketts failed to increase the lead. Ricketts found himself free on a break away but opted for a step over before the keeper saved his placed effort.

Bradford were now firmly on top with plenty of attacking pressure as bot sides were becoming frustrated. There was a scramble from a corner in the last five minutes after a flare up. Clark then saves well moments later.

Then around the ninety minute mark Ricketts was free again but this time he opted to try and walk it in but his touch was wide.

Then finally on the ninety second minute a moment of brilliance had the home faithful cheering.

Nothing was on as Keynsham came forward looking to play down the clock. Wilson on the right decided to step in and try a outside of the boot curler and it flew past the keeper – great goal at any level.

A very entertaining game and a great advert for Western League football in a contest between two managers who try and play football the right way.

You May Also Like