Keynsham 2-0 Portishead

Keynsham Town 2-0 Portishead Town
Western League Division One
AJN Stadium

Keynsham and Portishead came into this fixture needing three points for two different reasons. Portishead are looking to push away from the bottom two whilst John Allen’s men are keeping up with Cheddar at the top.

Both sides started the game full of energy in the first ten minutes with attacking intent from both sides, but no clear cut chances.

The first attempt on target is a hopeful effort from Scott Saunders, with a floated cross deep on the left, which is tipped over. The resulting corner brings a quick succession of corners which almost broke the deadlock but Portishead stood strong.

Keynsham are now playing at a much quicker tempo but this leaves Portishead dangerous on the counter.

Craig Wilson beat the offside trap with just over half an hour gone. However a defender covered cutting out the cross for a corner, before a Keynsham tap in.

Portishead’s best chance of the half fell to 9 on thirty eight minutes after good hold up play inside the box from 7. However the striker was leaning back and fires over.

Ht 0-0

Keynsham have came out of the traps quickly with a number of half chances within five minutes of the restart. Adrian Harvey had the best chance at the back post, but his shot went over.

Shortly afterwards Rhymel Henderson hits the bar from a Harley Purnell corner.

The attacking pressure kept coming as Keynsham continue to push with Harvey getting in a long shot but the keeper saves with ease. However Portishead are organised well by their captain.

Wilson eventually breaks the deadlock on just past the hour mark. A freekick from the right is floated and the ball is eventually knocked down to Wilson; who finds space to turn and shot to make it 1-0.

Portishead’s captain rattles the woodwork just a minute after the goal for a timely reminder that they are still a danger on the break.

The home faithful had to wait until the eighty second minute for Keynsham to secure the win. Portishead had the ball just inside their half but Matt Brown pounced on a loose touch and carried the ball past the last defender to finish well past the stranded keeper.

There was a route back into the game for Portishead with a freekick on the edge of the box but 7’s shot was placed wide of the post.

Cheddar lost to Wells City which puts Keynsham just a point behind the leaders – leading into the big clash on Tuesday night.

Portishead will still need to keep fighting for every point but based on this showing they should have enough to stay in the division.

You May Also Like